Like many other overseas locations, it can be a challenging environment for spouses who are seeking employment. It is common for applicants to wait six months or longer to land a job that aligns with their education and/or experience.


On Installations

  • NAF Positions: NAF positions support installations through services in Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) and Force Support Squadrons (FSS). Hours range from regular, full-time to flexible part-time with varying employment benefits. Federal and NAF positions are listed on

  • DoDEA-Europe: These schools offer full-time positions, substitute teachers, administrative staff and educational aids. Go to

  • Defense Contractors: Job opportunities in technology, management, accounting and administration are available with contracting firms. Your installation’s contracting office and A&FRC or ACS office will have information about vacancies.

  • Defense Commissary Agency (DECA): Jobs at

  • Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES): Apply at or through local human resources offices.

  • Federal positions: These positions provide support through various functions across the installation. Jobs are listed through the Office of Personnel Management at

  • Community banks and credit unions: Jobs as bank tellers and managers.

Note: Check websites and offices for new openings frequently —a job can be posted one day and stay posted for only three business days.

On the Economy

As part of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), command-sponsored family members with a vignette stamp in their U.S. no-fee passport (and no employment restrictions on their passport) are able to work on the British economy without a work permit.

  • You must apply for a National Insurance Number (NIN) when hired for work.

  • Jobcentres are government-ran employment offices.

  • You can search jobs on their website at

  • If you’re looking for work, starting work or setting up as self-employed, you will need a National Insurance Number.

  • Contact Jobcentre Plus at 0800-141-2075 to obtain a NIN.

  • They may require for you to attend an “evidence of identity” interview.

  • Visit for details.

  • British Income Tax: If you work in the U.K., you are subject to U.K. income tax in addition to U.S. income tax.

  • The Inland Revenue U.K. government department collects the tax.

  • Tax is paid based on your income during the tax year, between April 6 and April 5 the next year. For details see

Additional questions regarding British income tax may be directed to your installation’s Legal Office.


While many may feel overqualified to hold a volunteer title, there is so much to take away and learn as a volunteer. More often than not, this is the main avenue people take to eventually land a great job. Volunteering can help you gain experience and network to land a paid position in the future.

Start making connections

  • Visit your installation’s A&FRC/ACS, FSS/MWR, the American Red Cross and the United Service Organizations (USO).

  • Reach out to various offices across your installation that align with the career field you’re interested in. You never know if they need volunteers or are willing to let people shadow them.


Key spouses are volunteers within the squadron picked by the Commander to help be a liaison between spouses and the group. Key spouses help newcomers by reaching out to them before they arrive to help answer any questions they may have beforehand and provide them with the resources the newcomer may need. Key spouses are around to support and help newcomers in their transition and throughout their tour in the U.K.


  • Start DIY projects you’ve always wanted to do.

  • Spend time in the gym and establish healthy habits.

  • Travel, travel, travel! Living in the U.K. means traveling between other European countries is easier than ever.

  • Start a blog – whether it be travel, fitness, military living, etc. Contribute your articles to for a chance to get published online and in various magazines.

Find what works for your goals and dreams whether you land a great job, volunteer with an amazing organization, further your education or find other ways for personal enrichment. Utilize your time in the U.K. to benefit your future to the best of your ability.


Taking the time to advance your education can help you excel in the future. Educational opportunities on installations come with a variety of programs at universities partnered with the DoD.

  • Central Texas College Europe: Primarily associate degrees and practical training. The Advanced Skills Education Program develops leadership qualities within non-commissioned and junior officers. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

  • Community College of the Air Force: Accredited degrees and courses for qualified personnel.

  • University of Maryland Global Campus: Undergraduate and graduate degrees as well as associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

  • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: Certifications, undergraduate and graduate degrees. Offers face-to-face and online courses.

  • The University of Oklahoma: Online and independent study options for some classes. Face-to-face advanced degrees available.

  • Other schools: Many U.S.-based schools offer online courses or have European satellite locations. Some European universities offer programs for English speakers. For tuition assistance and financial aid information, visit, or your Education Office.

The best stories from EUROPE, in your inbox

Sign up to receive travel tips, local event details, restaurant reviews, recipes, community news, and more every week from Stripes Europe.

Sign Up Now