Personal enrichment opportunities in Italy
Personal enrichment opportunities in Italy
Understanding the SOFA agreement between the U.S. and Italy will set realistic expectations for career opportunities during your time in Italy. Dependents are not allowed to work on the economy or have in-home businesses (example: Mary Kay, Arbonne, Scentsy etc.). Job opportunities for dependents can be found on your installation. However, job openings may be limited. It is important to look for job opportunities before PCSing and soon after you arrive.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES ON INSTALLATIONS
- NAF Positions: NAF positions support installations through services in Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) and Force Support Squadrons (FSS). Hours range from regular, full-time to flexible part-time with varying employment benefits. Federal and NAF positions are listed on www.usajobs.gov.
- DoDEA-Europe: These schools offer full-time positions, substitute teachers, administrative staff and educational aids. Go to www.dodea.edu/Europe/offices/hr
- Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES): Apply at http://odin.aafes.com/employment or through local human resources offices.
- Defense Commissary Agency (DECA): Jobs at www.usajobs.gov
- Defense Contractors: Job opportunities in technology, management, accounting and administration are available with contracting firms. Your installation’s contracting office and A&FRC or ACS office will have information about vacancies.
Note: Check websites and offices for new openings frequently – a job can be posted one day and stay posted for only 48 hours.
Taking the time to advance your education can help you excel in the future. Educational opportunities on installations in Italy come with a variety of programs at universities partnered with the DoD.
- Central Texas College Europe: www.ctcd.edu/locations/Europe
Primarily associate degrees and practical training. The Advanced Skills Education Program develops leadership qualities within non-commissioned and junior officers. Offers face-to-face and online courses.
- Community College of the Air Force: www.airuniversity.af.edu
Accredited degrees and courses for qualified personnel.
- University of Maryland Global Campus: europe.umgc.edu
Undergraduate and graduate degrees as well as associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs. Offers face-to-face and online courses.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: europe.erau.edu
Certifications, undergraduate and graduate degrees. Offers face-to-face and online courses.
- The University of Oklahoma: outreach.ou.edu
Online and independent study options for some classes. Face-to-face advanced degrees available.
- Other schools:
Many U.S.-based schools offer online courses or have European satellite locations. Some European universities offer programs for English speakers. For tuition assistance and financial aid information, visit www.military.com/education, www.militaryta.com or your Education Office.
- Register at FVAP.gov
- Select your state of residency
- Request an absentee ballot
- Fill in and send in your ballot
While many may feel overqualified to hold a volunteer title, there is so much to take away and learn as a volunteer. More often than not, this is the main avenue people take to eventually land a great job. Volunteering can help you gain experience and network to land a paid position in the future.
Start making connections
- Visit your installation’s A&FRC/ACS, FSS/MWR, the American Red Cross and the United Service Organizations (USO).
- Reach out to various offices across your installation that align with the career field you’re interested in. You never know if they need volunteers or are willing to let people shadow them.
OTHER PERSONAL ENRICHMENT AVENUES
- Start DIY projects you’ve always wanted to do.
- Spend time in the gym and establish healthy habits.
- Travel, travel, travel! Living in Italy means traveling between other European countries is easier than ever.
- Start a blog – whether it be travel, fitness, military living, etc. Contribute your articles to StripesEurope.com for a chance to get published online and in various magazines.
Find what works for your goals and dreams whether you land a great job, volunteer with an amazing organization, further your education or find other ways for personal enrichment. Utilize your time in Italy to benefit your future to the best of your ability.
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!