One-step checklist for PCSing to Naples
One-step checklist for PCSing to Naples
Welcome to Naples! Here is your one-stop checklist once you’ve arrived at your new home:
- Read and understand your orders. Ask your chain of command if you need help.
- Connect with your sponsor.
- Obtain your tourist passport if planning to travel outside of Italy.
- Dependents: start Visa process.
- Ensure U.S. driver’s license is valid.
- Attend the installation’s Area Orientation and Command Indoctrination Brief (INDOC).
- Service members/civilians: get your codice fiscale.
- Dependents: get your soggiorno.
- Ensure no-fee passport has SOFA stamp.
- Enroll in TRICARE Overseas and complete medical in-processing.
- Sign up for an FPO box, if your sponsor has not already done so.
- Register for "AtHof," Community Notification System
- Determine allowances with Transaction Service Center (TSC), formerly called Personal Support Detachment or PSD.
- Withdraw euros.
- Establish bank account to handle local bills, if necessary.
- Research online bill-pay options.
- Contact U.S. banks to close accounts, as needed.
- Schedule and study for driver’s exam.
- Pass exam and get translated AFI license.
- Get rental car.
- When vehicle arrives or is purchased, get insurance, register and pass safety inspection.
- Establish account with NEX for receiving rationed fuel card.
- Obtain international driver’s license.
- Submit INDOC paperwork; apply for codice fiscale.
- Submit TLA Arrival Claims every 10 days.
- Unaccompanied E1-E4 should visit the Unaccompanied Housing Office for assignment.
- Accompanied members should visit the Assignments/Facilities Office to view available units.
- Unaccompanied E-5 and above, living on the economy, view and make a list of economy housing units on www.homes.mil.
- With a list of housing units, schedule a showing tour with the Housing Service Center (HSC).
- Schedule appointments with approved realtors to tour homes based on your needs and wants.
- Place a hold on the unit and sign the lease.
- Sign up for communication services with NEX Residential Services (read contracts carefully).
- Contact the HSC and utilize their loaner furniture program for household furniture while awaiting House Hold Goods (HHG) arrival.
- Contact Personal Property to arrange delivery of HHG.
- Add emergency numbers to cell phone.
- Establish relationships with local medical providers.
- Have vaccination records, transcripts, PCS orders, passports and birth certificates readily available.
- Begin registration process for DoDEA schools.
- Contact School Liaison Officer (SLO) for information about home schooling, referrals and transition assistance.
- Visit the Child Development Center to apply and get on waitlist.
- Ensure vaccinations are current and schedule wellness exams.
- Register your pet at the Veterinary clinic within 30 days of arrival/adoption.
- Register your pet at the ASL and get a pet passport within 6 months of arrival/adoption.
- Find Italian vet clinic for Emergency and local prescriptions
- Maintain an annual rabies vaccination during overseas tour
- Get updated ID tags with new local contact information
- Update your microchip contact information with your new telephone and address
- Use heartworm and flea and tick preventative medication that will protect against sand flies that can transmit the Leishmaniasis disease year-round. (Only Seresto collar and K9Advantix have been proven to be effective).
- Find a boarding center or a reliable pet sitter.
- Read the NSA Naples Pet Policy.
- Understand and adhere to local Italian pet laws.
- Update resume and research job/volunteer opportunities.
- Visit Colleges/Universities to learn about course offerings.
- Log important phone numbers and program cell phone.
- Start recycling according to local requirements.
- Learn basic Italian phrases or enroll in language classes on base.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Join spouses’ clubs, Italian-American clubs or other activities.
- Consider the many opportunities MWR provides to explore Naples.
- Plan trips to explore Europe with the help of StripesEurope.com.
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!