Health and dental care in the UK
Health and dental care in the UK
Many options are available to you, such as Western, Eastern and homeopathic techniques. Talk with your doctor or patient liaison if you are in pain or are not responding well to these treatments. U.K. doctors may not always have a chaperone when examining a patient of the opposite sex. If you feel uncomfortable, it is appropriate to ask for an additional person in the room. Be aware that some medications that the U.S. classifies as controlled substances are available without a prescription but are not authorized for active duty members.
Closest emergency rooms to installations:
- Lakenheath - RAF Lakenheath Hospital
- Mildenhall - RAF Lakenheath Hospital
- Alconbury - Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- Croughton - Horton General Hospital
- Molesworth - Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- Menwith Hill - Harrogate District Hospital
- Fairford - Great Western Hospital
- The main emergency line for all off-base emergencies is 999.
- Call the 24-hour nurse line for healthcare advice.
- Always carry a list of medications and allergies, as well as your insurance card, ID card and local currency.
- While traveling, all TRICARE beneficiaries can call the international line at +44-20-8762-8133.
- If you still need assistance, call your Commander or First Sergeant.
- Call the American Red Cross for Emergency Communication Messages.
It is vital that during your first months of pregnancy you make the necessary arrangements that are best for you and your family. During your pregnancy, you can receive prenatal care at your installation’s medical center.
- RAF Lakenheath Hospital.
- For those stationed in areas without labor and delivery services on-base, you can enroll in the Stork Nesting program by contacting your primary health care provider to be easily transitioned to RAF Lakenheath to deliver. The program includes lodging and transportation as needed.
- Your installation’s closest off-base hospital.
- Fly back to the U.S. for delivery
- If you choose to go back to the U.S. you will have to wait for the birth certificate, SSN and passport to come in before returning to the U.K. with the baby.
First steps after giving birth:
- Obtain your baby’s Social Security Number.
- Photos need to be taken for your baby’s passport.
- Enroll your baby in DEERS.
- Contact local TRICARE office for enrollment information.
- Get a no-fee U.S. passport.
- Get a U.S. tourist passport.
- Get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), a birth certificate for babies born overseas.
- Add your baby in the Command Sponsorship Database.
Facility location, branch of service, deployments and staffing fluctuations affect the availability of dental care on installations to those who are not active duty. Dependents are generally seen on base on a space-available basis. When space is not available, dependents must rely on local off-base providers for their dental needs. Contractors and civilians must also be seen off base. Through a dental program with TRICARE, military family members stationed in England can receive quality, affordable dental care.
For Alconbury, due to limited services, if no appointments are available, dependents must rely on local off-base providers for their dental needs.
Finding a dental clinic off-base
- To locate a preferred provider, visit www.uccitdp.com
- Senior dental officers on installations (except for Alconbury) visit the offices of preferred British providers to assess the quality of care and clinic customer service.
- For information about TDP enrollment, claims or covered benefits, visit the TDP website, www.metdental.com.
Update DEERS information
Beneficiary Web Enrollment
Active Duty Dental Program United Concordia Companies
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!