Health and dental care in Italy
Health and dental care in Italy
During your time in Italy, you will need to see a doctor and dentist. With limited healthcare services on your installation, you may need to seek services on the economy. You may feel nervous about going to an Italian provider, but there are things you can do to make this process easier.
Host-nation patient liaisons act as intermediaries between patients and doctors to help facilitate the best care possible. From the language barrier and insurance forms, to providing comfort to clients, patient liaisons can help you feel at ease in new surroundings.
Getting a patient liaison
- Available through TRICARE and the Army Regional Health Command Europe.
- Program is open to all DoD ID cardholders, including non-TRICARE members.
- Find your local TRICARE Service Center and patient liaison, go online to www.tricare.mil/ContactUs/CallUs/TSC
Aviano Air Base, Camp Darby and USAG Vicenza installations do not have an emergency center. You can find emergency care at your installation’s local Italian hospital. If you need emergency care, ask the hospital to contact a host-nation patient liaison or call your local Military Treatment Facility or TRICARE Service Center (TSC) to arrange a meeting.
Closest emergency rooms to installations
- Aviano - Pordenone Hospital
- Camp Darby - Santa Chiara Hospital
- USAG Vicenza installations - San Bortolo Hospital
- The main line for all emergencies is 112.
- Call the 24-hour nurse line at 800 979 721 for healthcare advice.
- For urgent medications, look for the pharmacy with emergency hours for that day.
- Always carry a list of medications and allergies, as well as your insurance card, ID card and local currency.
- While traveling, all TRICARE beneficiaries can call +44-20-8762-8133.
- If you still need assistance, call your Commander or First Sergeant.
- Call the American Red Cross for Emergency Communication Messages.
- Many options are available to you, such as Western, Eastern and homeopathic techniques. Talk with your doctor or patient liaison if you are in pain or are not responding well to these treatments.
- Italian doctors may not always have a chaperone when examining a patient of the opposite sex. If you feel uncomfortable, it is appropriate to ask for an additional person in the room.
- Rooms are usually double occupancy and may not have privacy curtains between beds.
GIVING BIRTH IN ITALY
Giving birth in an Italian hospital can be a very wonderful experience. Before delivery you’ll be able to tour the hospital, as well as meet the staff. It is vital that during your first months of pregnancy you make the necessary arrangements that are best for you and your family. During your pregnancy, you can receive prenatal care at your installation’s medical center.
- Your installation’s closest Italian hospital.
- Army hospital in Landstuhl, Germany.
- Fly back to the U.S. for delivery.
First steps after giving birth:
- Obtain your baby’s Social Security Number
- Enroll your baby in DEERS
- Contact local TRICARE office for enrollment information
- Photos need to be taken for your baby’s passport
- Get a no-fee U.S. passport
- Get a U.S. tourist passport
- Get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), a birth certificate for babies born overseas
- Add your baby in the Command Sponsorship Database
Facility location, branch of service, deployments and staffing fluctuations affect the availability of dental care on installations to those who are not active duty. When space is not available, dependents must rely on Italian providers for their dental needs. Through a dental program with TRICARE, military family members stationed in Italy can receive quality, affordable dental care.
Finding an Italian dental clinic
- To locate a preferred provider, visit www.uccitdp.com/tp2opd/
- Senior dental officers on installations visit the offices of preferred Italian providers to assess the quality of care and clinic customer service.
For information about TDP enrollment, claims or covered benefits, visit the TDP website, www.metdental.com
Beneficiary Web Enrollment
Active Duty Dental Program
United Concordia Companies
TRICARE Dental Program
TRICARE Retiree Dental Program
1-888-838-8737 (24 hours automated)
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!