Getting connected during your PCS to the UK
Upon arrival, getting a cell phone is vital. The good news is that you have a variety of options and many resources are available to get you connected.
CELL PHONE SERVICE
Most-commonly used providers: EE, Three, O2, Vodafone, British Telecom and Virgin.
Tips for cell phone plans upon arrival:
- Check with your A&FRC to see if they have cell phones to lend while you finalize a plan.
- Always shop around to find what provider is best for you. Visit www.ofcom.org.uk to see which providers offer the best signal for 3G, 4G and calls.
- Last approximately 2-3 years.
- Need a pounds sterling account prior to obtaining a contract.
- No military clause included.
- No pounds sterling account needed to set up.
- Add minutes online at most ATMs or at some retail locations.
Apps to communicate internationally for free:
- Facebook Messenger
- What’s App
Note: Disable your voicemail; SMS missed calls and pop-up advertisements to avoid unexpected charges
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!