- 1lb boneless pork or veal cutlets
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup of flour
Photo credits: Susan Todorowski
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 10 slices bacon (diced)
- ⅔ cup of onions (chopped)
- 1lb of mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of Burgundy wine
- 2 dashes of thyme
- 1 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch with ¼ cup milk
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2) Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them to ¼ inch thick. Season cutlets with salt and pepper, drench them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with the bread crumbs that have been combined with the flour.
3) Place cutlets into a skillet and fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes on each side).
4) Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels; keep the meat warm in the oven while making the gravy.
5) Saute bacon and onions until golden brown; add tomato paste and mushrooms, and saute over low heat until mushrooms are cooked; add wine, water, and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes.
6) Stir in the cornstarch/cream mixture; simmer till thickened, pour gravy over Schnitzel before serving.
Photo credit: Donald Todorowski
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!