Stars and Stripes summer internship opportunity
Do you love to write? Hope to find a career in journalism, public relations or other communications field after college? Or are you hoping to keep your current skills up to date to sculpt you into being a great candidate for a future job? Set yourself ahead of the competition and expand your skills and experience with one of the most respected U.S. military media organizations.
The Publishing and Media Design department at Stars and Stripes Europe is seeking candidates for our summer intern program.
The Publishing and Media Design department at Stars and Stripes Europe creates print and online publications to entertain, inform and support U.S. military and DOD families stationed in Europe. Content topics include everything from European travel, overseas PCS moves, education, lifestyle and community events.
This isn’t your typical grab-coffee-for-your-boss type of internship. Our interns hit the ground running and are expected to be hands-on in assisting with our daily duties. If this sounds appealing to you, apply for our summer internship program!
A Stars and Stripes Publishing and Media Design Internship can help you:
- Gain hands-on experience in the print and digital media industry.
- Build confidence and a competitive edge in today’s communications job market.
- Expand your portfolio with published works in one of our many business products.
- Must have U.S. military base access.
- We do not offer logistical support or living quarters.
- Please note our summer internship program does not provide compensation.
- You must register with the Red Cross volunteer program in either the Ramstein or Kleber Red Cross Office prior to starting the internship.
- You must work a minimum of 15 hours weekly at our Kaiserslautern office during the 2020 summer months. 6 weeks between May 2020 and August 2020.
**Note** If you have summer vacations lined up, please let us know ahead of time so we can work with your schedule accordingly.
- Research and write articles for a variety of Stripes Publishing and Media Design business products.
- Offer creative input and pitch ideas for original work to media team.
- Assist with proofreading and other duties as assigned by staff.
- Assist with posting content to our social media pages.
- Assist with designing images for our Instagram and Pinterest accounts.
- Be a 2020 high school graduate or current college student.
- Possess superior writing, self-editing and proofreading skills.
- Have experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Internet search engines, social media and digital platforms.
- Be a creative self-starter, work well independently and under deadlines.
- Be willing to take direction, learn quickly and work hard.
- Have an interest in Europe, travel, history, military family life and other preferred PMD topics.
- Be well-rounded in posting to digital platforms, especially Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Have extensive knowledge of AP-style writing.
- Have experience with basic graphic design tools such as Canva.
Interested in joining our creative team?
Send a cover letter and three writing samples to Mary Del Rosario, Attn: Internship, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, March 13, 2020. Submissions will not be returned. Selected candidates for this unpaid internship will be notified via email by April 3, 2020.
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!