Happy Birthday to the US Army
“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Army, happy birthday to you!”
June 14 is a special day because 243 years ago in 1775, the Continental Army was formed. The day will be celebrated by throwing military balls, honoring those who first served our country, laying wreaths on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and of course, cake. Before you start the cake cutting ceremony, take a look inside some fun facts about the U.S. Army:
1. George Washington chose the colors of the modern army uniform.
2. The Army is older than the United States.
3. 24 presidents have served our country.
4. The army is the second largest employer in America.
5. Due to its heaviness, U.S. military bases refuse pennies. (No wonder why I never get pennies back as change!)
6. Ray Ban sunglasses were made for the U.S. Army Air Corps because these shades were thought to reduce headaches and nausea due to high altitude exposure to the sun.
No matter how you celebrate, remember to thank all those Servicemembers who have served and continue to serve. Cheers to your selfless service and dedication to protecting our nation! From all of us here at Stars and Stripes, we wish you a happy birthday!
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!