Bring the kids: Adventure awaits
Is it possible to enjoy your vacation with small children? The answer is yes! When we found out that we were going to be stationed in Germany, I was ecstatic. My husband and I knew immediately that we were going to take advantage of as many opportunities to travel while living in Europe. We took our first trip as a family to Berlin back in 2015. My husband and I didn’t think much of it. We woke up, packed a small suitcase, loaded the car and drove to Berlin. Our children were 5 and 10 months at the time. We did not put together an itinerary, instead, we decided to go with the flow. After our weekend in Berlin, I learned several things:
1. Add activities that will excite your children. For example, my son loves animals so we made our way to the Berlin Zoo. He loved it!
2. You do not have to break your household routines. My daughter takes a nap for about two hours every day. We brought her blanket and adjusted the stroller so she could take her nap.
3. Pack tons of snacks.
4. Bring a camera.
5. Double-decker tour buses are kid friendly. Most double-decker tour buses let you hop off and on as much as you please from about 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
6. Investing in a backpack kid carrier is not a bad idea. The one I purchase did cost me about 150 dollars. The common question everyone asks is was it worth every penny? Yes! The backpack came with several compartments to include an insulated compartment that kept drinks cold. We could fit diapers, wipes, snacks, drinks and a change of clothes in the backpack.
7. Most families in Europe travel with their kids so you are not alone. It brought us comfort to see so many families with their children in Berlin from all over the world.
Since then, we have traveled to Hungary, Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Malta, United Kingdom, Czech Republic and the Netherlands as a family. Traveling has allowed my children to not only experience different cultures but travel has expanded their minds. They remember the trips we have taken together and some of the landmarks we visited. My son still talks about LEGOLAND and Disneyland Paris. He vividly remembers all that happened while we were there. The memories we have created are ones we will never forget.
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive travel tips, fun event info, food and drink articles and more in your inbox from us!