Tips for shopping in Germany
Here are a few important tips to keep in mind when grocery shopping on the German economy.
- Most German grocery stores do not open until 9 a.m. and stay open until 8 p.m. They are open Monday to Saturday, and closed on all Sundays.
- If you plan to use a shopping cart, you will need to insert a .50-, 1- or 2-euro coin, or a plastic chip, which you will receive back when you return the cart.
- Most beverages are sold in glass bottles that you take back to the stores for money. This is similar to the cash redemption value (CRV) we pay for soda cans in the States which is refunded when recycled.
- German grocery stores do not supply shopping bags, so it is best to take bags or baskets with you. Many have bags you can buy.
- You will have to bag your own groceries as there are no baggers.
- Many grocery stores, especially the smaller ones, do not take credit cards. Plan ahead and have euros with you.