Teen drivers in Europe

by Ruth Ploeger, Army Region School Liaison Officer/Transition Support Specialist
Family and MWR CYS Services

If you are coming to Europe with a high school student, don’t forget to consider your plans for a drivers’ license if he/she will be in need of one while in Europe or when off at college. Public transit isn’t as plentiful in most stateside locations as in Europe. However, you may still want your busy student to have his/her own ride. In some locations the high school offers an activity bus for athletes and clubs. Ask your school liaison officer (SLO) what is available in your location. Child, Youth, and School Services also offers driver education courses in some locations.

For more information or to sign up, visit CYS Parent Central Services. To avoid unnecessary stateside trips, it is advised that your child come with a stateside permit/license if you hope to eventually get them a USAREUR license. There are age and other restrictions per location.

If you come with a permit, you will still need to get a stateside license prior to getting a USAREUR license. The trick is to PLAN. 


Driving in Europe

Drivers’ Manual Germany

Driving in Italy

Obtaining a USAREUR license in Benelux

SHAPE Belgium Lic

For more to help your student PCS, visit Europe Family and MWR's website for an Inbound Student Handbook.

Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!

Follow us on social media!

Facebook: Stars and Stripes Europe
Pinterest: Stars and Stripes Europe
Instagram: @StarsandStripeseurope

Recommended Content