One-step checklist for PCSing to Germany
Welcome to Germany! Here is a one-stop checklist to help get you settled in a timely manner:
- Attend in-processing briefings, including housing brief.
- Attend newcomer orientation.
- Obtain ID card, as needed, and enroll/update in DEERS/IACS.
- Ensure passport has SOFA stamp.
- Enroll or update Tricare and complete medical in-processing.
- Visit Airman & Family Readiness Center (AFRC) or Army
- Community Service (ACS) for transition assistance.
- Determine entitlements with Finance Office.
- Establish account with installation financial institution.
- Get Electronic Cash (EC/Giro) card.
- Withdraw euros.
- Research online bill-pay options.
- Contact U.S. banks to close accounts, as needed.
- Schedule and study for driver’s exam.
- Pass exam and get USAREUR license.
- Pick up a copy of the Stripes Road Guide.
- Get rental car.
- When car arrives or is purchased, get insurance, register and pass inspection.
- Enroll in fuel ration program.
- Sign up for roadside assistance program, such as ADAC.
- Obtain International License.
- Establish TLA and OHA.
- Visit Housing Office for list of approved homes.
- Schedule appointments to tour homes.
- Ensure Housing Office inspects property and reviews contract.
- Obtain VAT form for finder’s fee, if applicable.
- Sign paperwork after review by Housing Office and completion of VAT form.
- Establish utilities with VAT/UTAP Office.
- Sign up for communication services.
- Use VAT form for approved services only.
- Purchase liability and home insurance.
- Contact FMO and browse AFRC/ACS lending closet, thrift stores, flea markets and classifieds for household items.
- Locate nearest emergency room.
- Add emergency numbers to cellphone.
- Establish relationships with local medical providers.
- Pick up a copy of the Stripes Germany Health & Medical Guide.
- Have vaccination records, transcripts, PCS orders, passports and birth certificates readily available.
- Contact Enrollment Office to begin application process for DODEA-Europe.
- Contact SLO for information about home schooling, referrals and transition assistance.
- Visit installation child care facilities to apply and get on waitlist.
- Ensure vaccinations are current and schedule wellness exams.
- Purchase child care and school supplies.
- Consult with other parents about school and child care experiences.
- Ensure pet has international microchip and register with Tasso.net.
- Register pet at installation vet clinic.
- Find German vet clinic that provides emergency care.
- Maintain annual rabies vaccinations during overseas tour.
- Get updated ID tags with local contact information.
- Obtain pet passport.
- Purchase pet insurance (including liability).
- Use monthly flea/tick preventive medication.
- Register dog at Rathaus, if required.
- Find boarding center or pet sitter.
- Understand and adhere to local German pet laws.
- Update résumé and research job/volunteer opportunities.
- Visit Education Center to learn about course offerings.
- Make copies of important phone numbers and program cellphone.
- Start recycling according to local requirements.
- Adjust routines to observe quiet hours.
- Keep sidewalks and gutters clear of snow and debris.
- Carry euros and VAT forms when shopping and traveling.
- Learn basic German phrases.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Join spouses’ club, German-American club or other activities.
- Plan trips to explore Europe with the help of StripesEurope.com.
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!