Handling auto accidents in England

Handling auto accidents in England

by: Stripes Europe | .
Stripes Europe | .
published: April 27, 2016

The military police advise to refrain from making any statement, oral or written, to claimants or their agents regarding liability, accident cause or the possibility of claims approval (contact your insurance company or agent for further advice). Here are a few tips on what to do if you've been in an auto accident while living in the UK. 

  • Put on a reflective vest; turn on your hazards. DO NOT attempt to place a warning triangle on a major highway or carriageway; this is too dangerous.
  • Ask drivers to switch off their engines and stop smoking.
  • Call 999 for emergency services — either on emergency phones on carriageways that alert emergency services to your location, or on your mobile. Identify your location by marker posts along the road.
  • Call Security Forces (SF) for assistance (see below).
  • Move uninjured people away from traffic to a safe location on shoulder.
  • Don’t move injured people from their vehicles unless they are in immediate danger from fire or explosion.
  • Don’t remove a motorcyclist’s helmet unless it is essential to do so.
  • Share and obtain pertinent information from involved parties and witnesses. If possible, photograph the scene to assist insurance agencies. Camera phones or disposable cameras an be used to record photos of the incident at the scene BEFORE moving any of the vehicles. 
  • Wait at the scene until help arrives and for further instruction from police. U.S. military personnel must report even minor accidents involving their registered vehicles to the military police within 24 hours.
  • Notify insurance agency within 24 hours. 

If the accident happens on base, report the incident to Security Forces as soon as possible (call 911 if injuries occur) and do not move vehicles until requested to do so by the SF.

Emergency numbers
Fire & Ambulance
Off base: 999
On base: 911

Service agencies
AA Breakdown (toll-free): 0800 887 766
National Breakdown: 0127 428 8488

Lost or stolen credit cards
Mastercard (toll-free): 0800 96 4767
Visa (toll-free): 0800 89 1725 

Tags: Move, PCS, UK, England, auto, accident, vehicle, driving, motorcycle, insurance
Related Content: Road rules and signage in England, Driving distracted in England, Motorcycle safety in England