Finding health and dental care in Germany
During your time in Germany, you will need to see a doctor and dentist. With limited healthcare services on your installation, you may need to seek out services on the economy. You may feel nervous about going to a German provider, but there are things you can do to make this process easier.
Host-nation patient liaisons act as intermediaries between patients and doctors to help facilitate the best care possible. From the language barrier and insurance forms, to providing comfort to clients, patient liaisons can help you feel at ease in new surroundings.
Getting a patient liaison
- Available through TRICARE and the Army Regional Health Command Europe.
- Program is open to all DOD ID cardholders, including non-TRICARE members.
- To find your local TRICARE Service Center and patient liaison, go online to www.tricare.mil/ ContactUs/CallUs/TSC.
- Many options are available to you, such as Western, Eastern and homeopathic techniques. Talk with your doctor or patient liaison if you are in pain or are not responding well to these treatments.
- German doctors may not always have a chaperone when examining a patient of the opposite sex. If you feel uncomfortable, it is appropriate to ask for an additional person in the room.
- Rooms are usually double occupancy and may not have privacy curtains between beds.
- The main emergency line for all emergencies is 112.
- Call the 24-hour nurse line at 0800-825-1600 for healthcare advice.
- For urgent medications, go to the nearest pharmacy and look at the signs for the pharmacy with emergency hours for that day.
- Always carry a list of medications and allergies, as well as your insurance card, ID card and local currency.
- While traveling, all TRICARE beneficiaries can call the International SOS at 0800-723-4214 or the international line at +44-20-8762-8133.
- If you still need assistance, call your Commander or First Sergeant.
- Call the American Red Cross for Emergency Communication Messages.
DENTAL CARE FOR FAMILY OF ACTIVE DUTY
- When space is not available, dependents must rely on German providers for their dental needs.
- Through a voluntary dental program with TRICARE, military family members can receive affordable dental care.
- To locate a preferred provider, visit https://www.uccitdp.com/tp2opd/.
- For information about TDP enrollment, claims or covered benefits, visit the TDP website, www.metdental.com.
EMERGENCY NUMBERS IN GERMANY
Ambulance/fire – 112
Polizei (German Police) – 110
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!