Top 10 ways to stay stress-free during the holidays
Even though it's known as "the most wonderful time of the year," the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas can also be the most exhausting and trying. Military OneSource shares the top 10 ways to stay stress-free during the holiday season.
1. Get plenty of endorphin-boosting exercise. This can be as simple as a 20-minute walk or following along with a yoga DVD.
2. Eat a healthy diet. Make sure you get plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein and water in your daily diet. Enjoy holiday treats, but go easy on them!
3. Do something kind for someone. Pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor, take on an extra chore for your spouse or volunteer for charity.
4. Take some quiet time for yourself. You can practice meditation, deep breathing or progressive relaxation techniques to calm your nerves.
5. Find a new hobby. Studies show that repetitive activities such as knitting, crafting and latch-hook have a calming effect.
6. Reach out to a good friend and talk about what is going on in your life. Sometimes it helps your stress level to get things off your chest.
7. Spend quality time with your family. You can watch a favorite holiday movie together or go on a tour of local holiday lights.
8. Get at least eight hours of sleep. Try not to drink caffeine late in the day and take time to unwind in the evening so you can go to bed with a calm mind.
9. Take time to laugh. Plan a fun activity, watch a comedy or read a funny book.
10. Make a list of positive things in your life and practice gratitude every day. Counting the good things in your life can put the stressful things into perspective.