Winter Vegetable Stew with Chicken and Barley
Stripes Europe | .
published: January 30, 2017
A steamy bowl of this hearty vegetable soup with shredded chicken and tender barley will help stave off even the stubbornest winter chill.
48 ozchicken broth
2garlic cloves (minced)
2 tItalian seasoning
12 ozchicken breast
3⁄4 cregular barley (not quick cooking)
1medium onion (chopped)
4 cleafy green (kale, Swiss chard, spinach, etc.)
1large potato (cubed)
1large turnip (cubed)
Cook time: 360 Prep time: 30 Yield: 4 Servings
- Mix chicken broth, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaves in crock pot or large pot.
- Add chicken breast, barley, onions, leafy greens, potatoes, turnips and carrots. Press vegetables into broth; avoid stirring.
- Cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until barley is completely cooked.
- After cooking, remove bay leaves and chicken breast.
- Shred chicken and place back in crock pot. Stir and serve.
Source: Adapted from Crock Pot Chicken and Barley Vegetable Stew by www.iowagirleats.com