Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Stripes Europe | .
published: January 30, 2017
Swiss chard with pine nuts and raisins is the perfect salty-sweet side dish to add to any warm winter meal.
2 1⁄2 lbSwiss chard (with ribs out)
1⁄4 cvirgin olive oil
1medium garlic clove (crushed)
1⁄3 cpine nuts
1⁄3 cgolden raisins (soaked)
Cook time: 10 Prep time: 5 Yield: 4 Servings
- Rinse Swiss chard to remove any leftover grit.
- Remove red ribs (they are extremely tough and bitter).
- Place leaves in pot with remaining water from rinse.
- Cook 5 minutes or until leaves wilt.
- Drain wilted leaves in sieve using a spoon, pushing out excess water. Chop leaves and set aside.
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil. Add crushed garlic and allow to cook until light brown.
- Remove garlic from oil.
- Toss pine nuts and golden raisins into oil and cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add Swiss chard, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes or until hot.
- Serve as side to any winter dish.
Source: Adapted from A Mediterranean Feast by A. Wright 1999