Herb & Cheese Southern Dressing
Stripes Europe | .
published: November 16, 2016
Every year my husband and I take a trip at Thanksgiving and eat local cuisine. To ensure we get our turkey fix, we have a pre-Thanksgiving potluck. This is the best of the dressing (stuffing) recipes I've tried.
1dozen cooked biscuits (cubed-I use Pillsbury)
19-inch pan prepared cornbread (cubed)
12 ozbacon (thicker cuts work best)
2 conion (diced)
2 ccelery (diced)
3 Tgarlic (minced)
1⁄2 cfresh chives (chopped)
1⁄2 cfresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
1⁄3 cfresh sage (chopped)
12 ozcheddar cheese (divided)
2 clow-sodium chicken broth
Cook time: 70 Prep time: 30 Yield: 12 Servings
- Spread cooked biscuits and cornbread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat until all the fat cooks off. Remove bacon and pat with paper towels to reduce grease. Crumble and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté onions, celery and garlic in the drippings until onions are translucent and celery softens. Mix in chives, parsley and sage.
- Toss together herb and vegetable medley, bacon, biscuits, cornbread, 8 ounces cheddar cheese and chicken broth.
- Add Tabasco, salt and pepper until perfect for your taste buds (I add several dashes of Tabasco and pepper, but little salt).
- Bake in a lightly greased 9x13-inch casserole dish at 375°F until top is lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake 5-10 minutes longer.