Apple Cake with Vanilla Sauce
Stripes Europe | .
published: March 13, 2017
Try this delicious apple cake for a twist on St. Patrick's Day dessert. Topped with a delicate drizzle of vanilla sauce, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
2 tbaking powder
1⁄4 tground cloves
1⁄4 tground nutmeg
6 ozunsalted butter
3⁄4 csugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
4large apples (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious recommended)
1 1⁄2 cwhole milk
1 1⁄2 tvanilla extract
Yield: 8 Servings
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease and flour an 8" or 9" round, square or bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves into a large bowl.
- Combine butter and flour mixture to form crumbs. Add sugar.
- Peel apples, chop to desired size and add to flour mixture.
- Separately whisk two eggs and incorporate into apple-flour mixture.
- Pour dough into pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle remaining sugar on cake.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until top is lightly browned and middle is cooked.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar for at least two minutes.
- Bring milk to a boil and temper eggs. Slowly add milk to egg yolk mixture. Return to pan.
- Stir on medium heat until sauce is a slightly thickened liquid (about 4 minutes).
- Pour sauce over cake slices. Serve cake and sauce warm or cold as desired.