Heard of the student travel benefit?

by Ruth Ploeger, Army Region School Liaison Officer/Transition Support Specialist

Sending your child off to college is an exciting but expensive time for families. If you are stationed in Europe, the cost of flights to and from school can be onerous. There is a benefit that helps our families stationed here in Europe with this added cost. Government funded student travel is available for your dependent as outlined in the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR CH7 Part C).


• One round trip flight or two one-way flights per fiscal year between sponsor’s OCONUS duty station and stateside school.

• Transportation/shipping within 60 days of travel date of up to 350 lbs. of unaccompanied baggage.

• Storage of baggage in the vicinity of the school anytime during the fiscal year. (Storage cost not to exceed cost of shipping 350 lbs.)

Eligibility requirements

• Unmarried dependent child under 23 years of age.

• Sponsor must be serving on command-sponsored tour.

• Enrolled in accredited U.S. school recognized by the SECDEF and offering courses leading to a degree.

• Student enrolled full time (12 semester hours or equivalent).

• Students attending service academies are ineligible.

• Civilian sponsors must have a travel agreement.

Active duty process

1. Submit request online through UPDB at www.updb.eur.army.mil. You must log in from a CAC-enabled computer in the EUR domain, follow link to “My Apps on the HRDS Portal”, then to “Student Travel Application.” You will need your DOD ID, the school address, dates of travel, as well as information about the student.

2. You will receive an email requesting enrollment verification. Freshman may use letter of acceptance.

3. GI will send request to your G8/RM to obtain funding and then release the order, which can be used to secure tickets with SATO and initiate UB movement with transportation.

DOD civilian process

Contact your CPAC Office to request student travel orders. Use these orders to secure tickets and initiate unaccompanied baggage movement through the transportation office.

To check if your student qualifies or for more information, contact the IMCOM Europe Family Travel Office at DSN 544-1520/1535, or email usarmy.rheinland-pfalz.imcom-europe.mbx.family-travel@mail.mil.  For more information about college and career planning, check out your installation School Liaison Officer site.

Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive travel tips, fun event info, food and drink articles and more in your inbox from us!

Follow us on social media!
Facebook: European Stars and Stripes
Instagram: Stripes Europe
Pinterest: Stripes Europe

Related Content

Recommended Content