What you need to know to stay safe at Oktoberfest
Enjoy yourself at Oktoberfest, but be vigilant and maintain situational awareness at all times.
Oktoberfest safety tips
- Use the internet and mapping functions to research destinations and the security environment.
- I.D. potential safe havens such as police stations.
- Know law enforcement and embassy phone numbers.
- Always have an escape plan, in the event you find yourself in a bad situation.
- Establish alternative methods to contact family, friends and unit personnel.
- Discuss security plans with your family and other travelers.
- Backpacks and heavy bags are strictly forbidden.
- A bag check is performed at all entrances.
- No strollers/baby carriages:
- Every day after 6 p.m.
- German Reunification Day (Oct. 3).
- Access controls and luggage checks (of smaller bags) may be performed.
- The open flank at the slopeside along Theresienhöhe is closed by means of a security fence in order to prevent avoidance of the checks.
- The entrance at the Theresienwiese subway stop is modified in such a manner that no guests are able to enter the festival area unchecked.
Emergency contact information
Polizei at Oktoberfest: 089-500-3220
Garmisch MP station: 08821-750-3801
Vilseck MP station: 09662-83-3398/3397
USAG Bavaria Installation Operations Center: 09641-70-526-3025
Subscribe to our Stripes Europe newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, helpful PCS tips, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!