Free tax services available through Military OneSource
Why pay for tax preparation and filing software when you don't have to? Managing your finances or getting help filing your taxes doesn't cost you a dime through Military OneSource. Military OneSource provides free tax preparation and filing services and tax consultations.
Military OneSource tax preparation and filing services
Military OneSource tax preparation and filing software walks you through a series of questions to help you complete your tax return. This self-paced tax software allows you to:
Complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax forms
- Check your electronic filing status
- Rest easy knowing the tax software vendor is by your side if you get audited
- Get 100 percent accurate calculations or the tax software vendor will reimburse you up to $10,000. Terms and conditions apply.
This online software product is easy to use, and free technical assistance is available if you need it. For technical assistance, such as login issues, using the software, printing returns, etc., call 855-897-8639 and follow the prompts. If you have any personal tax-related questions, call 800-342-9647 to speak with a Military OneSource tax consultant. Remember, these consultations are free.
Military OneSource tax consultations
Military OneSource provides assistance in making informed decisions about your tax situation. This assistance includes:
- Sharing information on tax requirements and other military-related issues
- Identifying tax regulations
- Providing printed and electronic tax forms and helping you understand how to complete them
- Reviewing your options for using a refund
- Explaining additional tax services available
- Helping you access the Military OneSource free tax preparation and filing software
- Assisting you if you have any tax-related questions while preparing your tax returns
- Connecting you to other Military OneSource services, such as confidential non-medical counseling, if needed
Accessing Military OneSource tax services
Call 800-342-9647 to speak with a Military OneSource tax consultant — remember these consultations are free.
To receive tax services in Spanish, call 800-342-9647, and a third-party translator will facilitate the call. If you're hearing impaired and require a telecommunications device, call 866-607-6794. All services are free to eligible service members and their families.
More information about Military OneSource tax preparation and filing service
- You don't have to complete your return all at once. By using the self-paced tax preparation software, you can create a secure user identification and password to save, close and return to your filing later.
- You can file an amended return if you filed electronically. If you need to make changes after the Internal Revenue Service has accepted your return, you can file a Form 1040X to make changes. Use the tool available through the Military OneSource software. To prepare an amended return, click File an Amended Return under Tax Filing Resources on the Overview screen.
- You can now include charitable deductions, mortgage interest and rental property in your tax return.
- You can transfer your tax information from last year when preparing this year's tax return. The Military OneSource-provided online tax preparation and filing software allows you to access last year's information free even if you didn't use the service last year.
- You may be able to file your federal and state tax returns at the same time. Hawaii and Arkansas require residents to file their federal and state returns at the same time, while all other states allow filing both tax returns together or separately.
- You can get the status of your return within 72 hours. However, it can take up to an additional 48 hours before the program updates the status. Once you've filed your return, you can check its status by logging in to your online account.
- You can use compatible browsers. Browsers include Google Chrome version 16 and above, Internet Explorer 8 and above, Mozilla Firefox version 11 and above, and Safari version 5 and above.
- Your information will never be sold for marketing purposes.
- The system protects the security and confidentiality of personal information by using industry-recognized security safeguards. These safeguards include firewalls coupled with carefully developed security procedures to protect your information from loss, misuse or unauthorized alteration.
- Free tax services are available to those eligible. If you receive a request for payment, you should immediately call 855-897-8639 or the Military OneSource Call Center at 800-342-9647. There should be no charge for these services.
What trained Military OneSource tax consultants cannot do:
- Answer questions related to trusts and limited liability corporations or other tax shelter options. These services are not included.
- Provide advice, directives or declarative statements. They can't tell you what you should or should not do.
- File on your behalf. You must complete and file your tax returns yourself. However, you can call a trained Military OneSource tax consultant during tax season free — January through April 15 — seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EST or EDT at 800-342-9647. After April 15, trained tax consultants are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EDT.
The following individuals are eligible to receive Military OneSource tax services:
- All active-duty service members of the United States Army, United States Marine Corps, United States Navy and United States Air Force
- Members of the National Guard and of the reserve — regardless of activation status — including members of the Coast Guard activated as part of the Department of the Navy under Title 10 authority
- Service members who retired (includes medically retired individuals) and discharged honorably (includes general under honorable conditions) are eligible until 180 days past their retirement date, end of tour of service or discharge date
- Spouses and dependent children of the eligible service members and those who are authorized in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
- A family member who is taking care of the affairs of an eligible service member when the service member is deployed
- A severely injured service member of one of the services noted above or a designated family member of a severely injured member who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs
- Eligible survivors of active-duty, National Guard and reserve deceased service members regardless of conflict or activation status
- Members of the Department of Defense civilian expeditionary workforce when deployed (as defined by Department of Defense Directive 1404.10) during the 90 days prior to deployment and 180 days post deployment
Please note: Except as detailed above, United States Coast Guard personnel, spouses and dependent children are not eligible for this service. United States Coast Guard members should refer to the United States Coast Guard Tax Assistance Web page for tax assistance and the United States Armed Forces Legal Assistance Legal Services Locator website to locate the nearest installation with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance resources.
Reduce your tax-filing stress. Prepare and file using secure online tax software available for free through Military OneSource.